Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Jack Cheese & Garlic Crackers

Whenever I tell someone I'm going to make crackers they give me a look and say something along the lines of "you can do that?!?". Yes. You can make homemade crackers. It's actually quite easy, made easier if you have a cookie press. And they are delicious. I was shocked the first time I made crackers, I really was. I was a little skeptical really.

And, to be honest, I still really don't know what makes a cracker a cracker and a cookie a cookie. I'd love to know more about the science of baking to understand how when I use basically the same ingredients I get two very different textures. Because on the basic level, that's what's different between a cracker and a cookie. The texture. I wouldn't want a cheese and garlic cracker that had the same texture as, say, my chocolate chip cookies. Nor would I want my chocolate chip cookies to be somewhat sandy and sturdy like my crackers!

Thus....here is a cracker recipe with a few notes for variations below!

Jack Cheese and Garlic Crackers
adapted from the Williams-Sonoma Cookie Press recipe booklet

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 14 to 16 minutes
Yields: 40 to 50 crackers

Ingredients
  • 2 cups plus 2 TBS all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 16 TBS (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup finely grated dry jack cheese, at room temperature **see note below**
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press (if you don't have a garlic press finely mince)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Over a sheet of waxed or parchment paper (or in a bowl I suppose), sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add the cheese and garlic and beat until combined, about 2 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  5. Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, about 3 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  6. Fill the cookie press with some of the dough according to the instructions and fit with the desired-shape disk; cover the remaining dough with plastic wrap. Press the crackers out onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake until set and golden, 14 to 16 minutes.
  7. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the crackers cool completely. Remove them from the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough. Serve with something yummy to dip them in!
***A Couple Notes***

Okay, a couple things about these crackers:
  1. Cheese: you can use whatever cheese you have laying around that is somewhat dry and would go well with garlic. Last time I did these I used Parmesan. DO NOT USE THE FINELY GRATED STORE BOUGHT PARMESAN. At least don't if you are interested in using the cookie press. Please just grate your own cheese. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do this shortcut with my various cookie press recipes (use store-grated parm) and how many times I've had to manually make the cookies because the dough is just too dense. But seriously ... use what cheese you have in the fridge. Take 5 minutes and grate it yourself.
  2. Don't have a cookie press? No worries! This recipe can work without a cookie press, no problem. Make the dough the same. It may be a bit sticky, so just keep your surface powdered. Roll the dough out till it's about 3/8" thick and cut into squares. To make them more decorative sprinkle with poppy seeds or something and poke with a fork.

Wow your friends with these at your next party, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment