Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In case you want some mediocre cake quickly....

....so, I keep finding recipes for this 5 minute cake that you can make in the microwave. And after pondering cake all morning, I had to try it. Just think about it ... cake. Cake. Don't you want some cake now?

I knew that no good could come from this. Really, there were only two outcome options: a) The cake is bad to edible. b) The cake would be amazing and I'd have an unlimited supply of chocolate cake readily available at my hands within 5 minutes and I would grow to be as large as a house.

As it turns out, I feel like the answer is a) The cake is bad to edible. Now...I would go as far as to say that it was bad. It was ... okay. Forgettable. The texture isn't really what I like in terms of a cake. And it's not very chocolate-y. But, it's fantastic for cake if you need cake NOW THIS VERY MINUTE. If you can wait an hour I'd recommend making a real cake. Or if you don't want a lot of cake, make a pan of brownies. I know it's not the same, but you'll be happier.

All that said, I might play with the recipe and tweak it some, but really....as I made it today it's not worth it for me to have again. If you have a better recipe for a five-minute microwave cake, please let me know!

Coffee Cup Chocolate Cake

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes + 1 minute for cooling
Total time: 6 minutes
Makes: 1 coffee cup of chocolate cake

Ingredients
  • 4 TBS all-purpose flour
  • 4 TBS sugar
  • 2 TBS cocoa powder
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten
  • 4 TBS milk
  • 2 TBS oil
  • Splash of vanilla
  • 2 tbsp nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
Recipe
  1. In a COFFEE CUP, mix together flour, sugar & cocoa powder
  2. Mix egg with the dry ingredients
  3. Mix milk, oil & vanilla with dry ingredients thoroughly
  4. Add nuts, chips, etc. if you are going to add them.
  5. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, then let stand for 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment