Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gingersnaps

I wasn't really thinking when I was baking, so I apologize for the lack of photos on this one...

The gingersnap is one of my favorite cookies - and I think it's perfect for this time of year! Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of gingerbread men. I do love me some gingerbread, and gingersnaps. But it's something about the texture with those little men and a lack of ... pop with the flavor.

I made these for a little cookie swap I went to over the weekend. It's a simple cookie with pizazz, and easy to make to boot. So, without further ado...

Gingersnaps
(Courtesy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook)
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake time: 8 to 10 mins per sheet
Yield: About 4 dozen

Ingredients
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
Granulated Sugar

  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Beat the brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. (These can also be mixed with a spoon) Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the granulated sugar.
  3. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
  4. Shape the dough by the rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Dip tops into granulated sugar. Place balls, sugared sides up, about 3 inches apart on cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until just set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

These cookies are best the next day after the flavors have had time to meld...

Enjoy with some sorbet or a nice cup of tea!!

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about looking up a good, simple gingerbread recipe to make. Thanks for sharing!

    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete