Sunday, December 20, 2009

Brown Sugar Squares

This is a new find for me...but when going through my cookbooks for my big holiday bake-up this seemed quite tasty and easy....and I was right on both accounts!! This creates a chewy, sweet bar. I was a bit surprised at how few ingredients were necessary!!

Brown Sugar Bars
courtesy of Paula Deen / The Lady & Sons Just Desserts cookbook

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18 - 20 minutes
Yields: 16 2-inch squares


Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
Recipe
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
  2. Stir together egg, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl.
  3. Sift together flour, soda, and salt in another bowl. Quickly stir into egg mixture. Add nuts and spread in pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cookies should be soft in center. Cut into squares.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment