Saturday, November 14, 2009

Homemade Vanilla Extract (Can you say....holiday gifts??)

A few moths ago (read: last January) I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade vanilla extract. Can you imagine my excitement? I am a bit of a vanilla nut...and I go through tons of vanilla extract with all my baking. And, I find much of the vanilla extract out there to not be up to my standard of taste. So, I've been biding my time since finding this recipe.

Finally, I got online the other day and ordered my vanilla beans. There are many sites out there that sell vanilla beans - and yes, the beans can be expensive. However, I've found that you can order "Extract Beans" which are for just this purpose. They are a bit dryer and uglier then the vanilla beans you will find at say, the Whole Foods. But apparently they are up to the job of being infused into extract.

The process of vanilla extract making is really quite simple, or so it seems. I guess the true test will be in 4-6 weeks when the extract is ready for tasting. Essentially vanilla beans + alcohol = vanilla extract. I'm starting with one version of the recipe I found, which uses vodka. I am interested (if this turns out) into possibly experimenting with other types of alcohol just to see if it still makes a viable vanilla. (and yes...I now have a lot of vanilla beans.)

Okay...again, pictures to come but here is the basic process:

(adapted from this recipe)

  1. Get vanilla beans & vodka. The vodka should be of good enough quality that it has a pretty neutral taste/lack of taste.
  2. Get bottles. This recipe creates it in a 1-quart bottle. I'm hoping to use these for gifts, so am starting with 4 oz. bottles. However, I have a good deal more vanilla beans then bottles at the moment because I'm having a hard time finding a local bottle source and shipping is quite pricey!
  3. Cut vanilla beans in half & length-wise. For a 4 oz bottle put approx. 2 beans per bottle.
  4. Using a funnel, pour 1/2 cup of vodka per 4 oz bottle.
  5. Cap bottle. Shake vigorously.
  6. Store in a cool, dark place for 4 - 6 weeks. Shake vigrorously a few times per week.
  7. This will continue to get more vanilla-y as it ages.
So...I guess in 4-6 weeks I will report back with the progress of this experiment!

Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment