Monday, June 20, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp

I'll admit it. I'm a bad blogger sometimes. Nevermind the months of absence - but occasionally, I forget to photograph my treats. I guess that means I'll just have to make this one again!

Rhubarb is one of my many loves - I think made even more so since we really only can have rhubarb a few short months of the year. So, imagine if you will, my joy when my CSA box the first week came with some exceptionally beautiful rhubarb. Of course, the first CSA box (which ... I can go on and on about my life for my CSA) coincided with a cleanse I was doing. No sugar or carbs for Becky for 10 days. What am I to do with my rhubarb then? The answer ... freeze it and wait 10 days.

Finally, a couple of days ago, I heard the rhubarb calling to me from my freezer. So I found myself a crisp recipe and headed to the kitchen.

This crisp is amazing - it's a nice balance of sweet and rhubarb-y goodness. And! It's super easy. I will be making this again, some day. And then I will take photos - if I don't eat it too quickly.


Rhubarb Crisp

prep time: about 10 minutes
baking time: 45 - 55 minutes

Yields: 8x8 pan of crisp

Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup oats (quick cooking or old fashioned)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 4 cups sliced rhubarb (about 1/2" pieces)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 TBS cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking dish.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together until crumbly.
  3. Press half of the brown sugar and oats mixture into the buttered baking dish. Top with the sliced rhubarb.
  4. In a saucepan: combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Cook together until clear, stirring frequently.
  5. Pour water/sugar mixture over the rhubarb (distributing evenly) and then top the rhubarb with the remaining crumb mixture.
  6. Bake for 45 - 55 minutes

Enjoy by alone, with ice cream or whipped cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment