Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins

I don't think I've adequately lauded just how much I love fall. It's my favorite season. Sometimes I miss the longer days and the sunlight, but there's nothing like a good cup of tea (coffee, hot chocolate, apple cider...) while sitting under a blanket, with a good book and perhaps a cat. Maybe a fire place in the background, crackling away. I love apples. I love squash. And I love all things pumpkin.

So, this morning we were getting ready to head to some friends to meet their new baby (A. Dorable.) and I really just couldn't show up empty-handed. So, I found this recipe and made some changes and this is what we got. Pumpkin-y, chocolatey goodness.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Prep time: about 5 minutes

Cook time: 20 - 25 minutes

Yields: 12 medium-size muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15 ounce can)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice*
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • approx 3/4 cup chocolate chunks or chips
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions:
  1. Put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Put liners in muffin cups.
  2. Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
  3. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl.
  4. Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full), then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
  5. Cool in pan on a rack five minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature.
*Okay, I don't really "believe" in pumpkin pie spice. It's just one more thing to clutter my spice cabinet with. I mixed cinnamon (which was the major spice included), nutmeg, cloves & ginger together ... which, is essentially pumpkin pie spice. So ... if you don't have any on hand, make your own!

Enjoy with some coffee or a nice glass of milk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment